Position: Coder (not a remote position)
Full-Time with Benefits
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Worksite: Santa Rosa
Department: Finance Department
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Revenue Cycle Manager
Salary Range: $22.88 to $32.93 per hour
Application Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Job Purpose: The Coder performs highly technical and specialized functions for Sonoma County Indian Health Project, Inc. The employee reviews, analyzes, and codes diagnostic and procedural information that determines Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance payments. The primary function of this position is to perform ICD-10-CM, CPT and HCPCS coding for reimbursement. The coding function is a primary source for data and information used in health care today, and promotes provider/patient continuity, accurate database information, and the ability to optimize reimbursement. The coding function also ensures compliance with established coding guidelines, third party reimbursement policies, regulations and accreditation guidelines.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
• CPC (Certified Professional Coder) Certification
• Minimum 3 to 5 years of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of both is preferred.
• Collaborates with billing department to ensure all bills are satisfied in a timely manner.
• Review claims data to ensure that assigned codes meet required legal and insurance rules and that required signatures and authorizations are in place prior to submission.
• Conducts medical records research and corresponds with insurance companies and healthcare professionals to resolve if a claim is denied due to incorrect coding.
• Advanced knowledge of medical terminology, abbreviations, techniques and surgical procedures; anatomy and physiology; major disease processes; pharmacology; and the metric system to identify specific clinical findings, to support existing diagnoses, or substantiate listing additional diagnoses in the medical record.
• Advanced knowledge of medical codes involving the selection of the most accurate and descriptive code, using ICD-10-CM, CPT and HCPCS codes for billing of third-party resources and IHS coding conventions.
• Skill in correlating generalized observations/symptoms (vital signs, lab results, medications, etc.) to a stated diagnosis to assign the correct ICD code.
• Knowledge of NextGen EHR and PM (preferred but not required)
• Ability to query providers for clarifying information for complete and accurate documentation
Special Qualifications: Must be sensitive to the needs of the Native American Community, which includes culture, traditions, and background.
Apply to: Sonoma County Indian Health Project, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources Manager
144 Stony Point Road, Room 2209, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Fax (707) 526-1016 or Email Resume and SCIHP Application to email providing in this job posting
Employment Application available online at: www.scihp.org/human-resources
When applying for Indian Preference, attach valid proof of eligibility
Preference in filling vacancies will be given to qualified Indian applicants in accordance with Federal Law, including the Indian Preference Act (Public Law Title 25, U.S. Code, Sections 472 and 473). Subject to the foregoing, Sonoma County Indian Health Project, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All application forms are subject to the provisions of the Privacy Act (Public Law 93-579, Section 78) and become the property of Sonoma County Indian Health Project, Inc.
Reasonable Accommodation: Sonoma County Indian Health Project, Inc. will make reasonable efforts in the selection process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources of any special needs in advance of selections procedures by calling (707) 521-4654.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.